[texbirds] Cove to Summerwood today, no kites but fish crows and Egyptian geese

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 15:47:29 -0500

I started at Cove and headed north. The Trinity Wildlife Refuge property
had mud under the water lilies in much of the area and bird song was way
down. But the painted buntings were singing at times but no prothonotary
song nor summer tanager.
Worked the Dayton to Liberty stretch again and had no swallow-tailed kites.
There was an event down Texaco Road that was attracting caravans of cars.
Apparently it requires elaborate golf carts and beer. Those with just beer
were going too. You apparently had to drink beer before going so you could
throw cans from the truck. Did no help birding.

Went on to Crosby and found both the swallow-tailed and Mississippi kites
absent from Aweigh and other drives in the area.

Going on to Deussen Park, I found a number of fish crows several of whom
were young of the year. The young almost sounded more crowish than the
parents. A family group chased a bird with a large goody over toward the
dam.

Went on to the lakes in Summerwood around the corner. Had one group of 4
Egyptian geese and another group of 7. There were a couple of ages or sexes
present so I need to do some reading to determine who is who. Both areas
had family groups of fish crows for a total of 9 there. The Egyptian geese
eat water grasses and yard grass so they will do well. The larger group had
a major fight over something while wandering under the trees. They can walk
a long way from water and do not like the sun. They seem to be as exciting
as Muscovy ducks. Forgot the bread so could not check on whether they will
eat good food.

There is a lot of trumpet vine blooming and in good use by orchard orioles.
A good crop of tent caterpillars is echoed by calling yellow-billed
cuckoos. I heard no young Mississippi kites which are usually numerous and
noisy but a few adults were perched up in the early morning sun.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston