[texbirds] Corpus Christi Yellow-green Vireo – Yes for May 14

  • From: "alima@xxxxxxxx" <alima@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 20:07:15 GMT

After an unsuccessful attempt for the YGVI yesterday evening (along with
another, local birder), I returned to the Suter Wildlife Refuge at sunrise for
another try.  I was rewarded with several looks at the bird over about a
half-hour.

The bird was first detected at 8:04 in the block of tall trees to the northwest
of the start of the boardwalk (across the opening, at coordinates
27.709899,-97.338326).  It was foraging in the lee of the trees (still a strong
northerly wind), about two-thirds of the way up the taller trees. It was
off-and-on visible for about 5 minutes, but when it finally became easily
photographable, a flycatcher chased it back into the thicker vegetation!  I did
manage a somewhat blurry but definitive photo of the bird.  I briefly saw it
again at 8:22 and 8:38, up near the tops of the trees but farther from any
decent viewing spot.  It seemed to be working its way slowly to the north.

Steve Lima,
Visiting birder from Indiana