[texbirds] Chambers County Bird Blitz - Addendum to Winter, 2013 TOS Meeting

  • From: sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TOS-LIST <TOS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 23:57:54 +0000 (UTC)

Chambers County Bird Blitz!

Need to boost your Chambers County list? Or would you like to have a great day
birding with friends? Join us for the Chambers County Bird Blitz at the end of
the TOS Winter Meeting in Katy. This event, co-sponsored by Texas
Ornithological Society and Chambers Wild, is designed to see as many birds as
possible in Chambers County, but not at break-neck speed.

Sunday, January 20 th : Meet leader Bruce Neville at the Anahuac NWR’s
Visitor Center (aka Texas Chenier Plain Visitor Center) on FM 563, 2 miles
south of I-10 from the Anahuac exit, #810. Gathering time will be 8 AM for a
quick walk on the boardwalk down to Lake Anahuac and a discussion of the
day’s itinerary. We will break into groups if numbers & interest level
warrant. Our destinations will include searching for any reported rarities or
unusual sightings in Chambers County – likely visiting Smith Point, Anahuac
NWR, White Park or Lake Charlotte – with lots of good birding along the way.
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Swamp Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Dark-eyed Junco are
possibilities, as well as large numbers of wintering ducks and Greater
White-fronted, Snow/Ross’ Geese. Whether you are coming for sheer enjoyment
or working on your Century Club list, come see what Chambers County birders
already know: the birds are great here! Of course the game plan could change at
the drop of a Tilley if we find a rarity or unusual sighting, so basically make
sure you have a full tank of gas and wanderlust in your spirit . Day-trippers
can leave extra cars in the parking lot at the Visitor Center if carpooling.
For details, questions and intentions to participate, contact Tamie Bulow,
Tamie.Bulow@xxxxxxxxxxx , (409)356-6029, or register with Betty Vermeire at the
TOS Registration Table. Bring a picnic lunch or snacks of your choice.

Submit photos from the day to www.ChambersWild.com for Birding Blitz Best Photo
Contest. Top three entries will be honored, and posted on the website.Details
to follow.

Two options forOvernighters for Sunday, January 20th:

1. Oak Island Motel – reservations at (409) 252-3474 – in Oak Island (south
of Anahuac), south central Chambers County; motel on stilts with two queen beds
per room, TV, bathroom. WIFI and tables at Convenience Store next door, gas
station, Hurricane Club restaurant open until 8 PM. Mention Texas
Ornithological Society for rate of $59.99/night. Bird more southern parks on
Monday and enjoy lunch in Anahuac on your way out of the county at one of 5
restaurants. http://www.oakislandlodge.net/motel.htm

2. Home Suites Motel – reservations at (409)296-3611 – in Winnie, east
Chambers County; motel with one queen bed ($49.99), king bed ($59.99), two
double beds ($59.99) at the Texas Ornithological Society rate. Winnie is a full
service town along I-10, with a selection of eateries, gas stations, market.
www.homesuiteswinnie.com .