[texbirds] Calhoun Co. FM 1289 rice field update plus migrants in Port O'Connor

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 12:53:08 -0500

TexBirders,

the rice field on FM 1289 at 1.0 miles from the HW 238 intersection did not yet
have the water coming to the compartments close to the road. It was,  however,
slowly advancing. Scope views were poor due to the heat waves but I could see
Hudsonian Godwits way in the back. The reason for the unusually slowly
advancing water might be that another rice field at 3.0 miles further down FM
1289 is also being flooded right now. Water comes in from the side and the back
and good numbers of shorebirds can already be seen  from the road. Here I had
Buff-breasted, Stilt, Western, Semipalmated, Least, White-rumped, Pectoral
Sandpipers, dowitchers, Dunlins, both yellowlegs, W. Phalaropes, stilts, and 4
species of plovers. Another mile down the road a rice field has the levees up
and will no doubt be flooded as soon as they can get the water to it.

Between those 3 fields I would guess there will be shorebird viewing
opportunities for the next several days.

The reason why I didn't get to the rice field until 10:30 a.m. was the great
birding in Port O'Connor proper. Had Black-billed Cuckoo, Veery and
Gray-cheeked Thrush, a unexpected Cassin's Vireo, my first Traill's flycatcher
of the spring (silent), Yellow-bellied and several Least Flycatchers and quite
a nice assortment of warblers, vireos and "mulberry birds". Having Ladd's help
certainly made the birding more enjoyable and productive and also resulted in
double the amount of harvested dewberries. All positive!

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.