[texbirds] Brazoria County Red-necked Phalarope, Hudsonian Godwits & 11 Species of Ducks Including Cinnamon Teal

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,

Always like to get out the first weekend in June to see what is still moving
through.  This morning I hit San Bernard NWR, Quintana and Brazoria NWR and
ended up with 104 species.  Highlights were a Red-necked Phalarope, 3 Hudsonian
Godwits, several Common Terns, Stilt Sandpipers, Tree Swallow (at previously
reported nest site), Cooper's Hawk (rare in summer along the coast), male
Cinnamon Teal, male Green-winged Teal, 5 Redhead and 2 Lesser Scaup.

I found the Red-necked Phalarope in Rogers' Pond on the end of the tour loop at
Brazoria NWR.  It stayed there for about two hours allowing two "chase" parties
to see it.  Then it disappeared.  Brad Lirette respotted it as we were studying
some "near basic" plumaged Hudsonian Godwits SIX miles away from the original
sighting.  It appeared identical but it is hard to know for sure if it was the
same individual.  This area is on the west side of CR227 just before it
intersects FM2004.  It has been awesome all winter and spring with everything
from Least Grebes and Common Goldeneyes to Canada and Cackling Geese to
hundreds
of golden-plovers and now lingering waterfowl and shorebirds.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson