[texbirds] Blue Ross's Goose in Calhoun Co.

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:33:18 -0600

TexBirders,

There are unusually few geese around Port O'Connor proper and the rice
fields of FM 1289 these days. So we drove over to the Magnolia/Alamo
Beach area today to investigate. Along FM 2717 (Alamo Beach Rd.) in a
deep green field of winter wheat or oats we found several thousand
white geese covering the ground in places like fresh snow. When we
pulled up I remarked about how strangely pure white those flocks
looked with nary a blue goose present. We quickly found out why. Most
of the groups of geese in the front half of the field were at least
75% (and some more) Ross's. A truly amazing concentration of this
species. The Magnolia/Alamo Beach area has always been a good place to
find many Ross's but I have not seen this unusual proportion of Ross's
to Snows before.

Scanning through the few blue geese present was quickly done and
yielded the hoped for prize - a blue Ross's. A nice Krider's Hawk
along HW 316 not far from the FM 2717 intersection was also cooperative.

Starting the New Year out right!

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.