[texbirds] Black Terns in Austin County (local interest) + Stephen F. Austin SP migrants

  • From: "Ken Hartman" <kahartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 19:22:35 -0500

Texbirders,

I was disappointed a couple of weeks ago when I missed all the inland Black
Terns seen west of Houston, but today I had a pleasant surprise while
looking for White-rumped Sandpipers. My wife and I had two Black Terns on
the pond across FM3538 from the Walmart, along with 2 Hudsonian Godwits, two
very late Golden-Plovers (presumed to be American) in near full alternate
plumage, a small flock of White-rumped Sandpipers, a couple of Stilt
Sandpipers, several Wilson's Phalaropes, and a number of other shorebirds
that were too distant for me to identify.

Stephen F. Austin State Park was nearly devoid of migrants. All we found
were two female Canada Warblers and a couple of silent Willow/Alder
Flycatchers.

Ken Hartman

Houston, TX