[texbirds] Black Phoebe carrying nesting material @ Anzalduas County Park

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:57:43 -0600

I did a little birding at Anzalduas County Park yesterday afternoon though
most was car birding as recovery from that flu has been slow.  Since it was
after 2 pm when I got there things were a little slow, but so was I.  I
observed two Black Phoebes perching and foraging in close proximity,
something that would result in agonistic behavior except with mates during
breeding season.  Later I observed one of the Black Phoebes quite closely
as it flew into a tree about 15 feet above me and I could see it had
nesting material in it's bill.  This seems early and the only info I could
find was in the online Texas Breeding Bird Atlas (1987-1992) that stated,
"Black Phoebes breed from late February to early Jul..."  That Atlas also
did not show any breeding for this species in the Rio Grande Valley so not
sure if there is some updated information available elsewhere.
I did not see the Am Goldfinches or Pine Siskins that John Brush reported
he saw that morning but I did see one male House Finch.  I also missed the
Zone-tailed Hawk, Northern Beardless Tyrannulet and Black-throated Gray
Warbler also reported by John.  However I did see a immature female
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Pine Warbler.  BTW, my photos of the Pine
Warbler appear to show grayish legs and kind of yellow feet which I know is
not found on this species that is reported in all my sources as having
black legs and feet. With it's yellow head and breast this bird is clearly
not a Blackpoll Warbler that does have yellowish legs and feet.  I guess it
could be some photographic quirk?  I would appreciate hearing if anyone has
any ideas about the yellowish appearing Pine Warbler feet or the apparent
earliness of the Black Phoebe nesting behavior.  I have uploaded photos of
these birds onto my Birds and Nature blog.<http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com>

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @