[texbirds] Re: Bird eating squirrel

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gil.eckrich@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:23:11 -0600

For what it's worth, squirrels were the #1 scavengers of window killed
birds on my surveys in IL; protein is protein! They mostly snagged
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, as they were so small and abundant around
the windows. Not sure if they ever grabbed stunned ones, but I
wouldn't put it past them. I suspect that predators and scavengers
likely get credit for window strikes on a regular basis...

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain