[texbirds] Alpine crossbills

  • From: "Mark Lockwood" <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 07:37:22 -0600

The Red Crossbills (Type 2) that have been in Alpine since early
December continue to be regular visitors to the cemetery, although they
also wander around town as well.  The largest number I have seen in a
single flock is about 45 birds, but they do not always stay in one
group.  As has been mentioned previously, they are feeding primarily on
the cones of the abundant ornamental arborvitae that have been planted
in the cemetery.  These trees resemble a dense juniper, but have small
cones.  I have places a few photos of these birds on my Flickr page for
those interested.  The cones of an arborvitae are visible in the first
two shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70194759@N05/

Mark

Mark Lockwood