[texbirds] Adult Male Blue Grosbeak at Seaborne Creek Park, Rosenberg, TX

  • From: Susan Fortenberry <texas410@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:48:08 -0500

HI Texbirders:
  Just wanted to let you know that I saw an adult male Blue Grosebeak at
Seaborne Creek Park, Rosenberg, TX on yesterday, April 4, 2012.  He was
seen several times in the afternoon in the blooming Huisache trees along
the creek between the driveway bridge and the farmer's hay field to the
North.  I don't know what he was eating in those trees but he seemed to
prefer them.  He was gorgeous.  This is a Life Bird which I have wanted to
see for years and had hoped to see this year.   It was a real thrill to
come across him unexpectedly as he had not been reported in that park. I
pretty much spent the afternoon just watching for him so I did not bird the
entire park.  This is a really nice park on Hwy 36 just South of Hwy 59,
which is Southwest of the Sugar Land and Houston, TX, area.
Other birds also seen in Seaborne Creek Park either along the creek or
along the short trail near the creek include:
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Blue-winged Teal
Cedar Waxwings
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Loggerhead Shrike
Northern Cardinals
Northern Mockingbirds
Purple Martin (one male, possibly a scout?)
Red Shouldered Hawk
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (a gorgeous male)

 Also seen was a possible Summer Tanager.  He was quite a distance away
from us but a friend took photos and I am waiting on her to confirm the ID.
It was not a male Northern Cardinal.
Susan Fortenberry
Sugar Land, TX