[texbirds] 5/4/14 Bentsen Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 13:23:14 +0000

Good Morning Everyone,
I apologize for getting the Sunday Bird Walk list out a little later than
usual, but here it is!  We had a rather slow start to the morning with only
Plain Chachalacas and a few Doves at the Nature Center.  As we walked towards
the Kingfisher Overlook, we heard several Olive Sparrows calling from the
shrubs along the roadway.  We were happy to stumble upon a Green Kingfisher (a
lifer for a few guests!) along the banks of the Resaca.  Down the Kiskadee
trail, we finally found some Green Jays and a few Blue-headed Vireos.  We were
treated to the best surprise of all on our walk back to Headquarters-a bobcat
walked out of the brush about a hundred yards ahead of us and strolled across
the road!

Species Count
Plain Chachalaca               10
Neotropic Cormorant     15