[texbirds] 5/11/14 Bentsen Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 15:52:09 +0000

Good morning,
First off, Happy Mother's Day!  We nice start to the morning with Long-billed
Thrashers singing and a Clay-colored Thrush hopping around the Headquarters
area.  We quickly moved on to see if the Elf Owl would stick his head out-no
luck there.   On the Kiskadee Trail, we picked up a Verdin and several Altamira
Orioles.  The Kiskadee Blind was a flurry of activity with many Doves, Plain
Chachalacas and Golden-fronted Woodpeckers.  At the Kingfisher Overlook, we had
two Green Kingfishers and a Brown-crested Flycatcher.  Finally, we headed to
the Hawk Tower looking for a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, which we heard.

Species Count
Plain Chachalaca               10
Great Blue Heron             1
Green Heron     1