[texbirds] 35 shorebird species UTC - May 3

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 08:54:29 -0500

Yesterday, Ben Van Allen, Mark Kulstad, and I joined Mary Ann Beauchemin
and the Russ Pittman Nature Center shorebird workshop.  We started off at
the Bolivar Peninsula, checked out a few localities along 87 up to High
Island, and then ended the day at Anahuac NWR and the flooded fields on FM
1985 just east of Anahuac NWR.  The only two birds that we missed were
Snowy Plover and Baird's Sandpiper, despite some concerted effort in
looking for them.
We also stopped at the Jackson Prairie Woodlot in Anahuac NWR and picked up
2 Black-billed Cuckoos and a few other migrants (E W Pewee, Swainson's
Thrush, Black-and-white Warbler, Am Redstart)

Black-bellied Plover
American Golden Plover - 2 at Ft Travis, 1 at Bolivar Jetty
Piping Plover
Wilson's Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
A Oystercatcher
A Avocet
B-N Stilt
Willet (both E and W)
L Yellowlegs
G Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sdppr
Whimbrel
L-B Curlew
Hudsonian Godwit - half a dozen in flooded fields just east of main
entrance to Anahuac
Marbled Godwit
R Turnstone
R Knot
Dunlin
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sdppr
Least Sdppr
White-rumped Sdppr
Pectoral Sdppr
Upland Sdppr - failed along FM1985, but had one one along Frenchtown Rd,
Bolivar
Buff-breasted Sdppr - 6 at Ft Travis early in the am, but only one left by
mid-morning
Ruff - continuing bird at Anahuac; from the end of the boardwalk, just S of
visitor center
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher - thousands at Anahuac
Stilt Sdppr
Wilson's Snipe - one individual flying over shoveler pond near dusk
Wilson's Phalarope

C-T Lee, Houston