[telnet] Re: the future and popularity of the BBS

  • From: Tony Baechler <baechler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 02:52:45 -0700

At 01:37 AM 8/14/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello.
>You make some good points, but there are just a few I'd like to reply to.
>First, about all the systems having the same interface. That's a problem,
>but that falls on the sysops and not synchronet. It's still so easy to make
>your system stand out.

Sure, but the point is that most people do not bother.  That comes down to
general laziness and why most BBSs disappear within a month.

>Most good systems don't ask for address info any longer, just email address
>and city/state. A few still ask all the questions but not many.

Hmm.  I guess I missed them, since that is still the default with Wildcat!
and many others.  I have been out of the BBS scene for awhile though so I
guess I should look again.

>Synchronet and Wildcat! are killing
> > themselves.  Why should I bother to login to a BBS when I can just use
> > anonymous ftp?
>
>If all you're looking for is file downloads then I see what you mean, but
>BBSs as you know have so much more than just downloads.

OK, but say I want to read echo areas.  I will just use my news
server.  Say I want to download a file.  I just use ftp.  Say I want to
play doors.  I just set up a dummy system.  I just saw a program with a
mini game server for that purpose.  I am thinking of the majority of users,
not just me.  Really, why do I want to go through the validation process
just to look around?  Most BBSs offer minimal content nowadays.  A large
part of that is the same issue discussed before, the Internet (specifically
the web) has everything all in one place so you no longer have to call a
dozen different dial-up systems to find that illusive program.  Sure, I
remember those days and that was half the fun.  I would have allfiles lists
from bunches of local boards, search for what I want, and get it.  Same
with Fidonet.  Not all boards carried all echos so I would have about 6
different mail packets going at once.  Nowadays it is common to find a
system carrying several full message networks, the full filebone, and
little else.  However, the majority have the stock files which come with
Synchro and nothing more.  Sure there are exceptions but I have found very,
very few of them.

Also, why not post an ad for your BBS?  That is allowed here.  I looked at
dmine.com but they no longer give sysop names so I could not find you.

---
To unsubscribe from the telnet list, send a blank message to
telnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the subject.  Make sure this
is sent from your actual subscribed email address.  To contact the list owner,
write to telnet-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This list's home page is at
<http://members.cox.net/~baechler/>.