[techtalk] Re: Upgrade

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:51:22 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Davidson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 7:02 PM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: Upgrade

Hi Steve

You're mad to consider the AMD processor.  Seriously.  Core2 is so
much better it's not funny. Little more expensive, but well worth it. (Cue
Gary to defend AMD and ATI) ;)

Somebody call my name? :-D

If you're going to overclock, yeah, the C2D is where it's at right now. But AMD is still a good choice if you're not. An X2 3800 and a suitable mobo costs a fair bit less than an E6300 - often enough to pay for an extra gig of ram and a better gfx card, which is a lot more useful than small performance advantage of the E6300 IMHO.

The 65nm X2s also draw a lot less power at idle than a C2D (about half, if I recall correctly).

MSI GeForce NX7300GS-MD256EH 256MB DDR2 HDMI/DVI (PCI-Express) -
Retail : £66 (budget non-gaming choice)

I've been fitting DDR3 7300GTs as the budget card of choice recently. £55 for something that can score 5000 in 3DMark05 is pretty phenominal.

Gary