[techtalk] Upgrade

  • From: "Steve Reading" <sw.reading@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:56:05 -0000

Hi All Am thinking of maybe upgrading my system and passing my old one down through the family chain! I`m presently running an Abit NF7s V2 with Athlon XP 2500

(as recommended on here a couple of years back)
and Radeon 8500DV graphics. XP MCE. I`m thinking of a AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3800 CPU but am at a loss as to which motherboard and graphics. Have been quite happy with the onboard sound on the NF7. I suppose I should be getting a M/B with PCI Express (whats SLI ready? and do i need it) Graphics card would not need to be "all singing all dancing" as I rarely play games, but would prefer something mid range. I have Vista which i am dual booting at the moment (not sure whether it will become my main operating sys yet tho`) so a card which will be compatable with Vista too. Has anyone any recommendations?

Also, I may just keep what i have now and just upgrade Graphics card, so any recommendations for an AGP card? Thanks Steve