[techtalk] Re: Time for a new computer

  • From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:37:01 +0100

* Thomas Hurst (tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> This morning: power on, no problem, runs for 8 hours.  Then power drops
> out with a *tick*, and a few seconds later, comes back on.  And then a
> few minutes, off again, just sat in BIOS.

I bought a new PSU last week, and after installing it I haven't had any
more problems, yay.

> One other thing I have noticed is my IRC sessions have twice dropped
> at about the exact same time as the power drops out.  The cable modem
> isn't dying; the ethernet link to it isn't flapping, but I ping out.
> No idea if it's related, or if maybe this is just a symptom of having
> crappy power generally, and my other systems have just handled it
> better.

This turned out to be a problem with screen(1); it's apparently hanging
when its terminal disappears and it fails to get a SIGHUP/PIPE/whatever,
thus causing irssi to hang for a couple of minutes, enough to make its
connections time out.

Got a spare motherboard now; a DFI T3eH6.  Maybe I'll build another
machine when I finally get hold of a W3520.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/