[TechAssist] Re: what to do with 14 and 15 inch computer monitors?

  • From: "Chris Gorsch" <cgorsch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:50:43 -0600

Gary, since retiring and closing shop I just repair monitors for the place
my son works at, they are mostly 13",14"&15", I used to charge a flat $45
and they wanted me to use salvage parts from units that exceeded that
charge. Now they can buy a new 14" for $50 so they just toss the bad ones.
They contract with commercial chain outlets and the monitors are still
small. I have been trying to sell some 14 & 15" units but so far no takers.
The 13 & 14 " units are easy to repair, all the brands that I've seem use a
Samsung CRT and yoke that are compatible with all units, maybe have to
reverse the vert windings at the plug. Maybe U have a better market than
mine , There's only one shop left in my area now and they cover an area of
50 miles or so North, East and West of them and they aren't busy. 15 miles
south is Baton Rouge the capital city and there are hardly any shops left
there either. Since signing on techassist I see that techs are inquiring
about older models CTC 160's up. You can't service any of those for less
that Wal-Mart is selling new ones for.
Hope U can salvage some  useful info from this.
ski
BLESS AMERICA, PLEASE GOD!
SKI-CHRIS GORSCH
ZACHARY, LA.
cgorsch@xxxxxxx  If Replying, Please Include Copy of Message
"Whatever it is the government does, sensible Americans would prefer that
the government do it to somebody else."-- PJ Orourke