[TechAssist] Re: usb headers

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:41:52 -0500

The following is pasted from the Sony Networking training course.  No pinout
is given in the manual, however I seem to recall that the wires go straight
through, that is 1 to 1, 5 to 5.

-----------insert-----------

FIGURE 1-3 - USB CONNECTORS

Wires

The five-conductor USB wire contains a twisted pair of wires for the data (+
and - differential signal with

respect to ground) and a pair of wires for power. These four wires are
enveloped in the ground shield (fifth

wire). The maximum length of a USB cable is 16 feet.

FIGURE 1-3 - USB CONNECTORS

4

1. Universal Serial Bus (USB)

Power

Power (5Vdc) is supplied either from the host PC or from the hub to the
portable device (which may alternately be

self-powered (diode blocked)). The current is limited to 500 ma per device.
The total supply current is limited to

5 Amps. Since there are only four pins, the cable is thin and connectors are
small, which helps reduce the cost

and allows cheaper peripheral devices to be developed.

Connections

The connection of multiple USB local devices requires one or more hubs, as
shown in Figure 1-2. Up to 127 local

USB devices may be added to the computer in this manner.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr
Pensacola, Fl.  32506-3310