[TechAssist] Re: seagate hard drive problem

  • From: "VRM" <vrmsys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <adamt123@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:03:49 -0000

Hello;

The SOLUTION to your problem can be solved if the HARD DISK is well FIXED -
using FDISK. I will advice that if you are not GOOD at HANDLING FDISK, kindly
consult a friend who is an expert to HELP YOU.

Otherwise for a try, start your machine with a clean VIRUS FREE WINDOWS 98
SECOND EDITION (SE) START-UP FLOPPY DISK or the WINDOWS 98SE CDROM, and when
the A:\ or D:\ is displayed, follow the STEPS DESCRIBED BELOW.

From your story given, FOR the OPTION of SETTING your HARD DISK as MASTER ONLY
(i.e ONLY one PARTITION), use STEPS 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 13, 14.

ALTERNATIVELY YOU CAN USE THIS PROGRAM CALLED PDISK, WHICH IS RUN AT a DOS
PROMPT TO PARTITION YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE. I have emailed a copy to your address.

NB:
Make SURE you HAVE a BACKUP of ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES

Steps for partitioning a hard drive using FDISK
  1.. If you're A:\ prompt, or  D:\ prompt, i.e when using the CDROM
  2.. Type "FDISK" and press ENTER.
  3.. If you're changing the partitions on an existing disk, choose option 4
from the FDISK menu to display existing partition information.
  4.. If you have more than one drive in the MACHINE, use option 5 to change /
select the drive you want to PARTITION.
  5.. If all of the space on the drive is already partitioned, you will need to
use FDISK menu option 3 to remove existing partitions before creating new ones.
  6.. For a new drive from which you will boot your PC, you must first create a
Primary DOS Partition. Choose option 1 from the FDISK main menu and Select
option 1 from the Create menu to create a Primary DOS Partition.
  7.. If you only want to have one partition on the drive, type Y when prompted
to make one large partition. If making multiple partitions, type N.
  8.. Enter the size for the partition if you selected N in step 6.
  9.. To create an extended (non-bootable) DOS partition, choose option 1 from
the main FDISK menu, then option 2 from the Create menu.
  10.. Press enter to use all remaining available space for the partition.
  11.. Create logical drives on the extended partition by entering the desired
size(s) in MB or percent of disk space.
  12.. Continue until all available space is assigned to logical drives.
  13.. If you will be booting from this disk, choose option 2 from the FDISK
menu and enter 1 to make the primary DOS partition ACTIVE.
  14.. Press the ESC key to exit FDISK. If running from Windows 9x, you must
manually reboot your PC at this point. You must format all partitions before
they can be used.
How to Format a Hard Disk
After you create the partitions, you must format the partitions:
  1.. Restart your computer with the Startup disk in the floppy disk drive.

  NOTE : If you are using a Windows 95 Startup disk, a command prompt is
displayed and you can skip to step 2. If you are using a Windows 98, Windows 98
Second Edition, or Windows Me Startup disk, select the Start computer without
CD-ROM support menu option when the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.

  2.. When a command prompt is displayed, type format c: /s , and then press
ENTER. This command transfers the system files and should only be used when you
format drive C (or your "active" drive). For all other partitions, type format
drive : (where drive is the letter of the partition that you want to format).

  NOTE : If you receive a "Bad command" or "Bad file name" error message, you
may need to extract the Format.com tool to your boot disk. To do this, type the
following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    extract ebd.cab format.com
  After the Format.com tool is extracted to your boot disk, type format c: /s t
a command prompt to format your active partition, or type format drive : if you
want to format a partition that is not your active partition.

  3.. When you successfully run the Format.com tool, you receive the following
message:

    WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
    Proceed with Format?
  4.. Press Y, and then press ENTER to format drive C.

  5.. After the format procedure is finished, you receive the following
message:
    Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?
  NOTE : This is an optional feature that you can use to type a name for the
drive. You can either type an 11-character name for the drive, or you can leave
it blank by pressing ENTER.
I hope this idea will do to alleviate your worries.

Viktoria