[TechAssist] Re: magnavox blowing out put transistors

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lloyd wright" <mrwright21@xxxxxxxxxxx>, techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:09:19 -0500

With not knowing what specific model you are refering to (and mentally
seeing your circuit board),  I am can only take a guess at what to look for
and/or what to try as a "quick check".

One question first comes to mind, though.  The HOT you replaced: did the
original have an internal or external "damper".  If external, you should
replace
this also when you replace the HOT.  I found it safer to replace even if it
shows as being good since it affects the HOT.  2nd, there might be a shorted
capacitor in this circuit.  I've even had a bad horiz osc transformer take out
HOTs, though usually just causes video problems.  And, of course, don't rule
out possible cold solder joints.

To help rule out the CRT as a possibility, I'd remove the hi-v lead from the
CRT before firing up your board after replacement of the HOT (if you desire to
replace it again).  If not already using one, use a variac (or borrow one if
you
can) to slowly bring the set's AC up.  It could help in finding circuits not
operating at their designed voltage and/or signal levels while others are.

Probably not much help to your repair, but it might be a starting point??

Chaz
-------
>  i replace the out put transistor it was blown i replace it  and itblew
> again     i change the flyback replace it whith a ecg 2353  the part# 610597
>
> it played about an hour and blew again  the output dose not get hot

> --- Links ---
>    1 'http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag_itl_EN.asp'
> To unsubscribe write to:
> techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx