[TechAssist] Re: JBL PSW-D112 Parts Id needed

  • From: "TechAssist Admin." <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TechAssist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:48:21 -0500

Ok, can you post the crossover specs, then I can figure out
the value.  The value of components in a x-over are not that
critical though.  Since this is a sub, and if it was only a
6db/octave slope, there would be no caps since they are only
used to block bass frequencies (you find the caps on the
tweeters & mids).  I 'assume' it's at least a 12db/octave
slope, and with them, caps are used in parallel with a coil
in series to block high frequencies from low frequency
drivers.  With an 18db and 24 db/octave x-over, it gets a bit
more complicated.  There are several more components to these
networks.  Of course sometimes multiple caps are used in a
12db/octave network if they could not find the right value
single cap.

If you used the 'wrong' value in the this case, all that
would happen is you would have more of the higher frequencies
coming from the sub, OR, you could have less of them coming
from the sub.  Since JBL is a top notch speaker manufacturer,
I find it unusual they would use a 'lytic cap(s) since they
are inferior in x-over networks.  While you are 'at it', you
should change all the caps to polypropylene, polystyrene or
metalized film.  One last thing, if it's a polarized cap,
it's not for the x-over network.  You can only use non polar
caps in them.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner