[TechAssist] Zenith SM2727RK - UPDATE

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:31:38 -0500

For all those following this thread: recently, I did a little more cleaning of
the
PCB to get a better viewing of previously described burnt parts.  After doing
so, discovered that the diodes - CR3431 to CR3434 - weren't, afterall, burnt.
Just tarnished badly by the explosion from a TO-92 transistor - Q3431.  My
diode tester says they are bad.

So, what I need is at least a partial schem of the section showing the above
diodes, Q3431, ICX3431, and burnt resistor R3432.  I will attempt a repair
with replacement of these parts, depending on cost/avail. of STR53041,
without CRT connected.  If the board then functions, it gets my other CRT
with it and hopefully returns to service.  If not, this project will be dumped.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far and/or further
continues to offer help.

Thanks in advance.
Chaz
-------

> Late yesterday, I recieved a hi-fi Zenith TV that had been hit with lightning
> (SM2727RK).  I checked everything on Tech- Assist, even for close numbers,
> and found nothing.
>
> Visual inspection shows blown FX3401 fuse, and what looks like the p.s.
> bridge of diodes (burnt) close to the ICX3431 (I believe) STR???? regulator.
> can't read anything on these diodes nor make out well the PCB location
> descripts.  I also suspect that the STR4400 (not able to read well either)
> volt-
> reg is shorted - ohming it says so anyway.  Without knowing what these
> parts are, and resourcing cost of regulator, I can't do much with it right
> now
> w/o chancing more part damage.  Customer wants it fixed but also is a little
> short on budget.  Anyone have any ideas, schem, or tips on this.  Part
> descriptions would be a big help to start with.
>
> I'm not sure of the chassis number for this but, the only label I found in the
> unit shows SM2727Rk  EU-593  F49702  (numbers under each other).
>
> Customer had said before it got hit with lightning, that the video would go
> out
> (white screen) and after powering off to cool down, the video would appear
> again.  He said he "just lived with it until this happened".
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Chaz
> To unsubscribe write to:
> techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx