[TechAssist] Re: Toshiba TP50F61, EXT speaker damage

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:47:58 -0600

Jeff,

The polarity will not affect the TV; however, the impedance of the
speakers will.  If they connected multiple speakers or had wiring
problems that may have shorted the output line(s), or had low impedance
speakers driven at high volume, the audio output IC may have taken a
"smoke break."  That could send it into shutdown or take out a secondary
supply voltage.

Hope they don't think this is an "in warranty" repair.  Ignorance and
stupidity is chargeable!

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32561
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:00:11 -0500 "Jeff Dougherty"
<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
> I received a call from the previous customer. It seems now they
> hooked
> external speakers up to this PTV and now the set will not come on,
> or if
> it does, there is no audio/video.
> I always figured the only way to damage these was if there was an AMP
> hooked up and it was too powerful. Could the speakers have damaged
> this
> set if the wires were reversed? If so, would it take out the video,
> also?
> I appreciate all opinions.
> Thank you.
>
> Jeff