[TechAssist] Re: Toshiba CF3054J,TAC8950 still vert lin troublesafter C301 & C305 repl.]

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:52:25 -0400

There is a practical side to the making of the lower value capacitors that
gives you more than you realize you are getting. There is a minimum size of
anode that can be handled. A given raw anode is characterized by a CV
product. In short, the higher the voltage it is formed to, the lower the
capacitance value. There is also a limit to the voltage that a given anode
can be formed to without breaking down.
For example, when I worked for a capacitor manufacturer, we could not make a
low value capacitor with a voltage rating of less than 125 volts. This was
formed at about 250 volts, although our formation supplies could go up to
500 volts. If somebody ordered 1 ufd, 35 volt caps, we took the 125 volt
unit and marked it 1/35 to avoid a hassle with the buyer, who might only
note that we did not give them what they ordered. Some distributors bought
the caps unmarked and printed the C and V after they got an order. If you
want to tell what voltage an electrolytic was formed to you need to connect
it to a adjustable power supply (through a resistor or fuse for safety) and
slowly increase the voltage  while monitoring the current. As the formation
voltage is approached, the leakage current will increase rather abruptly. We
used to do that in the lab when examining competitive products to see if
they had a good product or were just reducing the formation voltage safety
margin to get a smaller package or lower materials cost.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609