[TechAssist] Sony TV KV24FV10, no start- just chirping [UPDATE]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:21:53 -0400

Thanks for all the help on this.

I tried to fire it up in service mode. A couple of times the sound came
on but no HV. At that point, there was 135V dc on the HOT collector but
no pulses. No pulse at the base either. Now I can't get the set to come
on like that anymore, but if I remove the HOT collector from the
circuit, the set comes on with sound for 2 seconds, then shuts off.

As for LED blinking codes, they seem to be inconsistant:

TV on:

sometimes no blinks, sometimes 5 blinks, sometimes continuous blinking,
sometimes 5 blinks, then a pause then continuous blinks. I'd say more
often than any other, it is 5 blinks. The manual shows 5 blinks as being
no video out, and either the screen is not adjusted right or IC301 is
bad or IC541 vert out is bad. I went ahead and replaced the vert out IC
but no diff.
When HOT collector is disconnected and set turns off, I get 4 blinks.

With everything connected and set is turned on, the waveform on the HOT
collector is ringing. I removed the anode lead from the CRT in case that
was loading it down but same symptom. I am suspecting the flyback even
though my beloved HR tester shows it's ok.

number on flyback = 8-598-850-00

service manual shows 1-453-306-11

my suppliers web site says to use 1-453-336-11. Price: $100.00 CDN

Does anyone have a real cheap source for these Sony originals and which
number do I go by?

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

My original message:

I have a Sony 24" KV24FV10 flat CRT set in the shop. The set doesn't
start up. It just chirps continuously. On the odd occasion, the sound
will come on for maybe 3 seconds then the power simply turns off. The
waveforms on the HOT base and collctor are also pulsing but don't look
proper. I get 39V dc on the HOT collector as it pulses.

I have removed the flyback and tested it with my HR Diemen flyback
tester and I get a perfect looking collector waveform with it. Tester
shows flyback to be working fine (those not familiar, this tester
actually connects the anode lead and drives the flyback just like the TV
hor. output stage, although at a reduced test rate. I haven't had this
tester fail me yet). I have also soldered the hor. driver transformer
and other connections on main board and power supply board. Have checked
for bad transistors diodes and resistors as well. I downloaded the
manual and am looking it over now.

Are there any common faults for these symptoms? I've read that the
flyback is a possibility but with my test, I'm not sure what to make of
that.

Thanks for any help.