[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV20VM30 FBT bad or OK ?

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:12:43 -0400

Hollis,

I have found many flybacks that ring test good but are bad.  Ringing tests
may not show problems in the trippler stages.  I identify quite a few bad
ones with the Sencore drive tests, using the TVA92 and the VA62A video
analyzers.  Actually, I use the VA62A that I picked up used for $200 because
the TVA92 (newer unit, bought from Sencore) has been broken for a couple of
years and I have not been able to justify the cost to have it refurbed by
Sencore.

The drive test is simpl;y a horizontal key pulse applied at 25vpp to the
primary, measuring the DC output at the anode lead.  For a 30Kv flyback, the
output should be over 600v on the test.

Seems like I have seen more Sony and Zenith FBTs that fail this way.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
1261 NW 76 Blvd
Gainesville, FL 32606