[TechAssist] Re: Sony 20" monitor Intermittent poor Focus

  • From: Mykeelike@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:47:46 EST

In a message dated 12/10/02 2:04:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
peggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> model GDM-F500
> chassis SCC-L03C-A
> Nov. 1998
> 'Flat Tube' #M50LPU15X
> This thing has Focus that will Drift very Intermittently.
> It may play for days without drifting.
> It has a seperate Focus 'Divider',which looks like
> just a small version of a Flyback. It has one Lead in
> from the Flyback,and 2 leads out to the Pix Tube Socket.
> The input has 10Kv and each output has app. 5Kv,both
> when the Focus is good and when it's bad.
> Some of the Plugs on the CRT PCB are marked with voltages,all
> of which appear to be fine.
> Are these Tubes known to go bad with poor focus ???
> I'm going to pull the CRT Socket to have a look at it
>
> Peggs
> Peggs' Electronics
> 1519 West 2nd Street
> Owensboro,KY 42301
> 270-926-4968
> fax 270-686-7399

i have the same model Sony in my shop with the exact same problem.the monitor
came in dead . i changed the CXA2043. monitor looks good but has this focus
problem. i have determined that the focus voltage does not change but there
are two sets of focus voltages at which the tube focuses at. i know this
monitor has a dynamic  focus that is probably accessible in das however when
i look at the waveform and voltages into the focus block they do not seem to
change when the tube decides to switch int its secondary focus mode. this
problem is not caused by the cxa IC. i am suspecting the CRT. i believe Sony
has the answer but i have not been able to get through to them. if you find
out what this is please let me know.

Mike Wilson
a.m. stereo & video
Seattle WA