[TechAssist] RCA TV CTC197AK2, menu button doesn't work

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:46:14 -0500

This is my first repair of CTC197 chassis. Set came in dead. Replaced
HOT, flyback and a couple resistors and soldered the tuner. Works fine
now. Only problem is that the menu button on the front panel does
nothing. All the other front panel buttons operate normally.

I measured continuity of the menu switch when closed- is ok. Followed
the switch path through R117 to the micro IC and all traces are ok. The
menu button on the remote does work as normal. I went into the parental
control and made sure the front panel buttons were enabled. Then I
disabled them and then re-enabled them again. No difference. The TV
guide and PIP seem to be ok.

Is this an eeprom problem? If so, can I correct it without a Chipper
Checker? I do have a regular eeprom programmer if someone knows what
byte would need to be reset or whatever.

One other question, I've read where there is an RCA bulletin to replace
a resistor and cap when flyback is changed. My flyback number is 237502.
It did not come with any bulletin regarding this. Does this mean my
version of the chassis is exempt from the alteration?

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics