[TechAssist] Phillips 27" Console, 1989 model, dead, shorting picture tube.

  • From: Kevin's TV Repair <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:27:44 -0800

Attention all Phillips experts.  Sorry, I don't have the model number.
The set is dead because the P/S mosfet, Q420, an MTH8N45 is shorted and
R424 (0.27 ohms?) has a piece chipped off and is open.  Do these
commonly fail in this manner for no reason, or do I possibly have a
picture tube that is shorting intermittently?  I had another Phillips
recently (older model) and I repaired bad connections in the horizontal
only to have the picture tube arc and take out the P/S 3 weeks later.  I
was just wondering if it is worth it to take a chance on this one.
Would isolating the heater circuit using the fly back wrap prevent the
picture tube from taking out the P/S?  Thanks.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx