[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic CT-36G33W Chassis ALEDP313 in SHUT DOWN

  • From: Larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:28:09 -0400

maybe i shouldnt jump in here with out seeing what had been
said earlier, but are you checking the SMP or the flyback
circuit??
if you are checking the SMP, remove the HOT and connect bulb
to ground to load the SMP.
if you are checking the hot, flyback circuit, use the bulb in
series between the smp and the flyback, to limit the current
to prevent blowing blowing the hot.
Just my opinion,
larry

tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Fellow techs, correct me if I am wrong, but I have done this with many
> makes. The standard 120V lamp is simply a "resistive dummy load" for
> the power supply.Like a big 8 ohm resistor connected to an audio amp's
> speaker terminal.
> I have seen some power supplies get damaged without this dummy
> load,because some run away without their load.You want to connect the
> bulb to the B+ INPUT trace of the fly,otherwise you are pulling DC
> current thru it's windings, and may damage it(flyback).Most main
> regulated B+ outputs from these power supplies going to the fly/HOT
> runs around 90 to 135 VDC. (the PC monitors sometimes go about 80-
> 90VDC), but this is still in the usable range for a standard 120VAC
> incandescant 60watt light bulb. I have a ceramic bulb base(like you
> see in an old house at the ceiling) on a small wooden board and two
> wires with clips on them.One to ground,other to B+. Also the
> brightness and constance of the bulb is a visual indicator.
> Another use: I also use this bulb arrangement in place of the main AC
> fuse where the original was blown, and I am troubleshooting the
> PS.Mostly to see if I have cleared a dead short.(Dim= normal AC
> current, bright=short....this rule is for the AC fuse,not the PS dummy
> in the flt ckt). Sometimes the simple gadgets are the most useful.
> That amd my Dick Smith ESR meter...another story!
> Phil
>

> Phil Bader, Pres.
> Jan Phyl TV Inc
> Winter Haven, Fl
> (863) 299-8821
> estab. 1976

Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.
5415 N. Wooster ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622       www.geocities.com/schntv2000/
330-343-0768         FCC. first class & Extra class K8WLY