[TechAssist] Re: PC Question -Windows is gone!

  • From: "J. Knoll" <jaystv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:02:23 -0500

One solution I have used in a case like yours.
If you have another hard drive put it in your computer and install the
operating system on it.
Then hook up the original as a slave and take all files you want to
save off of it or just copy them to the new hard drive.
Then you can put the original back and attempt a re install and if you
lose everything, you don't really lose everything.  Jay-List Monitor

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:14:55 -0500, Jason - Excel Distributing
<JMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys!
> My pc at home went kaput.  I'm sure it is just the power switch or fuse, lol.
>  Anyways, I was doing a windows update friday night and when it restarted it
> did the memory check then went to a black screen and had a white box telling
> me that windows.exe is not found - Please reinstall windows.  I click ok and
> it tells me of a c:windows/system/xxxx.dll file is missing.  I click ok again
> and it just sits there.
>
> ABS is supposed to call me tonight to help cause a windows disk was not
> included 4.5 yrs ago when I got the system.  My question is if I have to
> reinstall windows will it lose any files I have stored?  I haven't done a
> backup in a while so I hope not.  It originally had Win ME, should I just go
> get Win XP?
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jason Martin
> Excel Distributing Inc.
> 1819 Mentor Ave.
> Cincinnati, Ohio 45212
>
> ph-800-733-3329   fax- 800-735-8007
> www.ExcelDistributingInc.com

J. Knoll  TechAssist Monitor
TechAssist
225 Monticello Ave.
Clarksburg WV, 26301
www.tech-assist.org www.techassist.net
PS:
 If replying to this email, please include all previous correspondence.
 It is the only way we can get the full picture. Thank You!!!