[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi VS-5007R V11B Chassis No power up

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:54:02 -0400

Ron,
The problems with this chassis are well documented and you will probably
find what I am going to say in the archives.

If you want a reliable fix and no recalls on these sets you should check all
of the Nichicon polar electrolytic capacitors on all 5 major boards for
electrolyte leakage.  We routinely change 60-120 caps in these to get them
all.

We use the following checks:
1) inspect for bulging and legs for brown, black, or corrosion.
2) look for spots around caps on the component side of the board
3) look for powdery solder or black corrosion on the solder side of the
board
4) heat the negative lead and listen for sizzle or smell "fishy"
5) ESR & DC leakage test

Any cap that fails any one of the above needs to be changed and the board
needs to be washed of electrolyte and any of the black corrosion needs to be
scraped off of the traces.

We have done dozens of these sets in the last couple of years and have yet
to see one without at least a couple dozen bad caps.  You will see all kinds
of wierd problems if you don't get them all...

We charge $240 labor + parts for a cap rebuild.  Other problems on record
for these sets are bad solder joints at heat producing resistors on the
signal board, occassional bad vertical outputs, repeated HOT failures caused
by leaky diodes, IC900 or related parts in PS and 12V regulators going bad.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL