[TechAssist] Re: Making a List of Files

  • From: William E Miller <prototech@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:36:56 -0500

>   Have you ever wanted to send someone a list of all of the files that
> you have in a folder on your computer but never got around to it
> because there were just too many to type out? I found this neat little
> tool a few years ago and have used it often. Listmaker can simplify it
> for you and save you a lot of typing. Link below
> http://www.nwlink.com/~koolguy/home.html

I use a simpel DOS command to do this.

Go to DOS via Start -> Run -> Command (or MS-DOS shortcut) then change to=
 the
directory I want.

Then type the DOS command:

  dir *.* /o > files.txt

Here's how that breaks down:

"dir" lists the contents of the directory you're in

"*.*" means all files (you could say like "*.jpg" e.g. instead)

"/o" (oh) means to output the list in order

"> files.txt" means to redirect the output to a file called "files.txt"
instead of to the screen

The result is a simple text file in that same directory called files.txt =
which
you can edit any send.

Enjoy!

William E. Miller, ASEET