[TechAssist] Re: HDTV outdoor antenna reception

  • From: Don's TV <donstv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:41:38 -0500

We've had good  success with UHF multi-bay antennas.  Of course, all the
broadcasters in our area (Baltimore/Washington) are on the UHF band.
The signal is definitely much more directional, so a motor is almost a
necessity.  It must be nice to receive signals from 100 miles away.
With the terrain we have in our area  (rolling hills and many trees),
we're fortunate to receive from much more than 60 miles.  Trees have
been no trouble for us, not the problem they are for DIRECTV, but we
have very few pine trees.  The other surprising thing is how much
tweaking and adjust our broadcasters do.  We've had  some digital
signals on the air for over 3 years now.  One day the signal will be
great, but the next day no signal at all.  Many broadcasters in our area
are testing or have gone to multicasting.  I believe this is probably
why there has been the issues with the signals being on/off.

--
Michael Goodwin
Don's  TV