[TechAssist] Re: "FIXED" RCA Model P61310 Chassis DTV307GC [ 2002 model ] Dead set - NO green light

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:16:31 -0500

Besides overvoltage, too much current can cause a cap to overheat. One of
the purposes of the cap is to "absorb" high frequency ripple current. The
cap has some ESR. Thus heat is generated. Beyond a certain temperature, the
ESR increases and the heating can go into a runaway condition and pop the
capacitor. So my first guess is that those caps had too high an ESR for the
application.
Years ago we had a contract to maintain a large number of data terminals at
a warehouse and sales center. Every monday morning we had to go out with a
bunch of computer power supplies to replace those that blew their filter
caps when the power was turned back on after the weekend. The electrolytics
would deteriorate a little when the power was off and get pretty hot for a
short time untill they repaired themselves or blew, whichever happened
first. We were only supposed to change out the supplies, not repair them.
Just send them back for refurbishing. Tried to tell them what was causing
the problem, but they didnt accept upward communication from the field.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609