[TechAssist] Compact computer 7462, Want to add a hard drive

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:41:26 -0600

This computer has a 10 G hard drive.  I have a 30 G hard drive from
another Compact that I want to add for data storage.  The 10G has several
programs I use in the business.  It has Windows 98SE installed.

Several questions.  I want to hook it up as a slave, but the jumpers show
only three positions:  CS--cable select, DS--Master, and PK--Park.  What
do I use?

Also, will I have to format the hard drive to be about to use it, since
it doubtless has an OS on it?  The harddrive is a Quantum Fireball 1ct.
These may indeed be simple questions, but I assure you they are over my
head!  If I need to format the 30G drive, I don't even know how to do it.

A related question, at least dealing with computers.  My wife's computer
was recently worked on and a new O/S Windows 2000 pro installed.  I have
a cd/dvd drive and a cd r/w drive.  The later was bad.  I installed a new
one yesterday.  It would play fine, but not record.  I found that putting
a prerecorded cd in the top drive would result in no audio.  (The display
indicated the cd was playing, but I could hear nothing.)  There is no
audio cable connected in the back.  Shouldn't there be a cable.  the r/w
drive has an audio cable connected.

Please help!

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)