[TAML] Re: Freelists backup list

  • From: Kevin Hopkins <kh2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: teamamiga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:13:45 -0600

At 10:21 PM -0600 12/19/09, Kelli Halliburton wrote:
This is just a reminder that Team Amiga has an alternative alternate list on Freelists, as a secondary backup precaution against technical difficulties with our primary list and the primary backup at Yahpp. It was established in August 2006 as the replacement for the mailing list service provided up to that point by Owlnet. It was set up and maintained by the late Gary Peake, and continues after his passing without moderation.

For the reason of the death of the primary maintainer of this list and the fact that the Freelists organization stores and archives all posts to the list (unless they include the header line "x-no-archive: yes"), it was supplanted by the current list host, World News Trust. However, it still works and can still act as a backup to the backup.

Joining is simple. The Freelists list is a straight up Majordomo mail
system. Just paste "teamamiga-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" into the To:
field of a new message and hit SEND.

You'll get a Confirmation request. Just send it back and that's it.
No setting up an account with Freelists or anything if you don't want to and Freelists will not know any more about you than any other owner of a Majordomo-type group. But your posts will be archived unless you include the header line requesting it not be.

You can also go to the Team Amiga group page on Freelists with a web
browser - <//www.freelists.org/list/teamamiga> - where you will
find this information.

Email addresses for this group:

Post message:    teamamiga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe:    teamamiga-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's always good to have a backup to the backup.

Thanks, Kelli ... and you worded that so well.  ;-)

I wasn't sure the Freelist thing was going to continue after Gary's passing. (Who can manage it?) I know I get a message on it from time to time, so it's still going along on autopilot, I guess.

Anyway, "It's always good to have a backup to the backup."  :-D

--
Kevin Hopkins <kh2@xxxxxxxx>