[TCUG] user group meetings

  • From: "Peter Jones" <peter.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:28:29 +0000

With regard to various user group meetings.

Although there can be value in physically attending such meetings, does
anyone have any thoughts on gravitating toward Internet based meetings?

I don't think this would replace all meetings, as presentations may
still be required etc., but it would allow the people who can't
currently attend meetings because of distance or staffing problems to
have an active input on matters.  I imagine the format would be
something like this:

*  Minutes from previous meeting become the discussion document and is
e-mailed to members.
*  Members comment on items and add other items for discussion then
submit to secretary by a cut-off date.
*  Members comments collated by secretary - no different than taking
Minutes but much simpler (cut & paste etc.).
*  Document re-issued to members with further comment cut-off date.

Each issue to members would be analogous to a meeting.

I believe that there would be many benefits to this:

*  Less valuable time away from the office.
*  A complete and electronic history of the development of the document
and subject material.
*  Everyone has the opportunity to contribute or at least to keep track
of developments.
*  The 'flow' would be more rapid and maintained by the set cut-off
reply dates.
*  The document collation exercise could be delegated around the
group.
*  The administration in general should take one person less time than
attending a meeting.
*  Less cost in terms of travel and paper documentation.
*  Completely in line with E-government requirements and Local Agenda
21.
*  Less journeys with obvious benefits to the environment.
*  Ideas can be considered and 'discussed' at leisure rather than
compressing into approximately 3 hours on a particular day.
*  Valuable contributions from more of the members.

The current FREELIST has proved that a system such as this could work
very well provided a suitable format was agreed.  It's possible that the
odd meeting would need to take place that would include for
presentations and all the benefits of 'face to face' involvement but I
think we are missing out on the opportunity to get other members
involved who cannot get to the meetings.  Apart from that, this system
would keep discussions current, up-to-date and alive.

Any thoughts?  Abusive or otherwise!  Could we trial the idea?

Peter Jones

Peter Jones
Project Leader - Traffic Control Systems
Phone: +44 (0) 151 934 4254
Fax:     +44 (0) 151 922 4514
Mobile: 07788 100 584
Peter.Jones (AT) technical.sefton.gov.uk
Sefton MBC - UTC
7th Floor
Balliol House
Balliol Road
Bootle
L20 3NJ

[ use (AT) instead of @ to avoid 'spammers'
when providing your e-mail address to a freelist)
Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
Any views expressed by the sender of this message
are not necessarily those of Sefton MBC

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.
It is intended for the named recipients only. If you are not the named
recipient please notify the sender and do not disclose the contents
to any other party.