[TCUG] Pole sockets

  • From: "Malcolm Kersey" <malcolm.kersey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:25:46 +0100

We are considering the use of the NAL signal pole retention socket,
which we understand other authorities are currently using in preference
to plastic pole boxes, etc.  The cables enter the pole from below and so
permit total flexibility in aligning the equipment.  The poles are
securely clamped in position to prevent rotation, but can readily be
removed to accommodate the passage of wide loads.

There are several problems to resolve:

1)  the use of unslotted poles - we have been told that it costs more
to buy an unslotted pole.

2) the foundation requirements to prevent rotation of the socket should
the pole be hit - we need to be sure that the pole will
fold at ground level leaving the retention socket undisturbed, but the
information that we have received from pole manufacturers suggests that
this cannot be guaranteed without very large foundations which are
impractical in most circumstances.

3) length of "standard" poles to be used - it would be sensible if
there was some agreement between authorities to standardise on a pole
length that guaranteed the 2.3m clearance required in LTN1/98 wherever
cycle signals and cyclists may be present.

4) the use with curved cranked poles - they are currently 4.32 metres
long to ensure adequate headroom.  Do other users employ a deeper
retention socket to ensure that all signal heads end up at the same
height.

Is anyone really using these retention sockets.  How have they overcome
the above issues?

Also is anyone considering their use in the future, in which case we
ideally need to agree on the use of unslotted poles and their length to
obtain cost savings from the pole manufacturers.

Thank you

Malcolm Kersey
Babtie Group for Kent County Council

----
This email was sent from an email address under the control of Babtie Group
Ltd, a company registered in Scotland, registration number SC141100 and having
its registered office at 95 Bothwell Street, Glasgow - known hereafter as the
Company.

Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this email. If you have
received this email in error, please destroy all copies in your possession or
control and notify the sender by reply email. Recipients may not forward,
disclose or copy this email to any third party without the prior consent of the
Company. The Company does not accept liability for any changes made to this
email after it was sent.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of the Company are neither given nor endorsed by the
Company.

The Company monitors email sent to or from email addresses under its control.
For more information about Babtie Group visit our new website at www.babtie.com