[TCUG] Re: Ped timings at junctions

  • From: mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:38:27 +0100

Robert,
Green man.  We vary the green man time in accordance with crossing width
so as to get pedestrians more than half way across the road. Our 'normal'
green man times would start at 5 secs for equivalent intergreens of up to
9 secs, and would therafter increase by 1 sec as the intergreen value
increases (i.e 10 secs green man at an intergreen of 14 secs).  We do,
however, allow ourselves the latitude of 'absolute minimum' timings -
where sites are particularly short of capacity - which is 1 sec less green
man throughout the range.

Blackout/All Red.  We retain the standard 3 sec blackout used in most
parts of West Yorkshire (think other parts also), and vary the all-red.
This ties in with various surveys done in the 90s on what the majority of
UK users do, and it minimises the potential confusion inherent in long
blackout. It also avoids the need for potentially different duration
blackouts on different arms of the same junction.

Bleepers.  We don't restrict bleepers to the first 3 secs, but it seems
like another good idea from Scotland.

Mervyn
Leeds 0113 2476750

"Robert Mansell" <Robert.Mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tcug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
31/07/2007 15:00
Please respond to
tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[TCUG] Ped timings at junctions

Having read through the advice in TAL 05/5 "Pedestrian Facilities at
Signal - Controlled Junctions" I am trying to understand how the ped
crossing times in Table 2 in Part 4 work.

For a standard farside signal at a junction, it would appear that there
is a fixed "invitation to cross" (period 4) of six seconds, which can be
raised if necessary. Although it says it may be raised according to road
width and ped density, there is no calculation or rule given. How do
other authorities set this value? We have straight over crossings with
double-D islands at the centre and don't want peds to end up waiting
there.

Also, when I look at setting a clearance intergreen, I can calculate a
time from the crossing width and a walking speed of 1.2 m/s. So for a
12m crossing, that would give 10 seconds. According to the table, I
would set a 1-3 seconds as the red man / red traffic period and the
other 7-9s in the blackout period. At the moment, we use a fixed 3
second blackout and vary the length of the red man / red traffic period.
What do other authorities use?

Also, where we have audio and/or tactiles, we tend to specify their use
during the first three seconds of green man time only. Does any else use
this method?

Thanks

Robert Mansell
Traffic Signals
The City of Edinburgh Council

This email and files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
=
for the sole use of the individual or organisation to whom they are
address=
ed.
If you have received this eMail in error please notify the sender
immediate=
ly and delete it without using, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing
=
its contents to any other person.
The Council has endeavoured to scan this eMail message and attachments for
=
computer viruses and will not be liable for any losses incurred by the
reci=
pient.

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.