[TCUG] Re: Microsense LED Signal Heads

  • From: David B Thompson <DBT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:35:00 +0100

===== Original Message from tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx at 15/07/02 12:29
>I am experiencing intermittently flashing aspects with Microsense LED Signal
>heads recently installed around the gyratory at J32 on the M4. At 2 nodes in
>particular I have had repeated faults with both red and green aspects.
>However not all the aspects are flashing on a particular phase. For example
>there are 3 RAG heads on a gantry, of which 2 have been observed flashing at
>the same time as a secondary mounted on a 4m pole.
>
>I have had Microsense out and replaced the faulty aspects, but the
>intermittent flashing is still occurring.
>
>Initially I thought it could be down to condensation in the head.
>
>The voltage at this site has been measured up to 260V and Microsense are
>blaming this for causing the fault. I have contacted my electricity supplier
>who have checked the voltage and confirm that they have a fault which will
>be rectified.
>
>I have 2 questions.
>
>*      Is anyone else experiencing this problem? When I attended the TCUG
>meeting recently, I raised the issue and Bristol also seemed to have had
>problems although this was put down to a faulty resistor in the head.
>
>*      Can anyone confirm what supply tolerance if any LED signal heads are
>tested to.
>
>If it does turn out to be that the voltage is too high but the head meets
>its design criteria, then a word of warning to all. Check supply voltages at
>any site that you intend to use LED heads at, or we need to get the type
>approval tests amended!.
>
>Regards
>
>Dave

>Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you
>are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the
message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not
consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions
business of the Council of the City and County of Cardiff shall be
>Mae'n bosibl bod gwybodaeth gyfrinachol yn y neges hon.  Os na chyfeirir y
>neges atoch chi'n
benodol (neu os nad ydych chi'n gyfrifol am drosglwyddo'r neges i'r person a
enwir), yna ni chewch gopio na throsglwyddo'r neges.  Mewn achos o'r fath,
dylech ddinistrio'r neges a hysbysu'r anfonwr drwy e-bost ar unwaith.
Rhowch wybod i'r anfonydd ar unwaith os nad ydych chi neu eich cyflogydd yn
caniatau e-bost y Rhyngrwyd am negeseuon fel hon. Rhaid deall nad yw'r
safbwyntiau, y casgliadau a'r wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon nad ydynt yn
cyfeirio at fusnes swyddogol Cyngor Dinas a Sir Caerdydd yn cynrychioli barn
y Cyngor Sir nad yn cael sel ei fendith.
===== Comments by DBT@JDT-BIRM (David B Thompson) at 15/07/02 13:26
The TSUK data sheet only shows an operating voltage of 230 volts, rather
than an operating range.

It does say that it was tested in accordance with BS-EN12368, but I do not
have a copy of that document handy.

I would have thought that any equipment made for this country would have to
operate within the Electricity supply tolerance of +10 / -6% (253 to 216.2
volts). 260 volts is quite high. I have had problems with CCTV equipment
operating at this voltage.

For information, I believe that the supply tolerances will change to +10 /
-10% from 2003.

jdt
Canterbury House, 85 Newhall Street, Birmingham B3 1LZ
Tel +44(0)121 237 4016;  Fax +44(0)121 237 4003