[TCUG] Re: Bus Priority

  • From: mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:40:50 +0100

This is going back to the Bus Priority query (from Paul Leighton - Walsall)
in January:

We in Leeds are looking at similar control of Ped crossings, in conjunction
with the new AVL system the buses are getting. Indeed, on that subject we
recently made a visit to Edinburgh - they have been allowing approaching
buses to 'hold' ped crossings for some years now - to-date using tags but
shortly using AVL.

Our thinking is that while ped crossings contribute little to total bus
delay, they can account for a lot of variability.  Therefore it is
significant.

Chief problems:  - what will peds accept - bus stops too close - bus coming
the other way demanding a second inhibit.

Whether peds accept the wait time depends on a lot of factors. We would not
necessarily be increasing the peds' maximum wait time - on VA we could just
be extending towards the max to get the bus through. Under UTC more
sophisticated control techniques are necessary (but we have a few of those
in mind!).

The argument about ped priority is not simple.  If we held an absolute view
of ped priority all ped crossings would have an immediate response all the
time.  Generally speaking a ped crossing has a number of constraints
governing when the ped gets a green.  I do not see a problem with adding an
approaching bus into the equation and taking action while considering all
the other factors (provided we give peds a good deal at the times when
buses are not present).

Are you thinking of using an inhibit 'detector' followed by a cleardown
'detector'? (this can reduce problems of speed variation)

However, like you we have not done anything yet, and expect to have an
interesting and educating time commissioning

Gordon Robertson
UTMC
Leeds City Council
Phone 0113 24 76753

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

Service of legal documents is not accepted by email