[tcb] Re: test for Friday

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:32:01 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

No, freelists.org doesn't have a problem with gmail, gmail has an issue
with (most properly run) lists (which is why I won't ever use one of my
gmail addresses for a list). gmail uses only the "Message-ID" header
inserted by mail servers to identify duplicate messages, regardless of
where they come from.

You send a message to the list and gmail adds a Message-ID header to
identify it. When the list sends that message out to everyone (including
back to you) it leaves the original Message-ID in place because that's the
"rules" for mail servers, if it's there, leave it alone.

When it arrives at your mailbox from the list then gmail looks at the
Message-ID, it can see one in your SENT "area" (gmail doesn't use 'folders'
like most mail clients) that already has that Message-ID so it deletes the
one coming in from the list. You will never see the messages that YOU post
to the list if you are using gmail. Only lists that ignore the rules (that
have been in place for 20 years) and change the Message-ID header will have
your messages show up when they get sent back.

Gerald