[tcb] Re: suspension q&a

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:26:32 -0400 (EDT)

Actually, the rough ride is usually from a few things.

1) Shorter Shocks used in most lowering situations (remember the shock tower
pivots are in the same place) must be shorter, therefore they have slightly
harder dampening and rebound rates.  Lowered bugs without shocks (and shock
towers) ride smoothly unless they're narrowed beams (see below), however for
safety reasons NFW would I ever own a VW or any car without some sort of
suspension dampening.  Even with short shocks you can sometimes bottom them out.

2) In Ball Joint front ends your suspension travels on the ball joints, if the
angles for the suspension become too acute it will affect ride.  Link Pin
suspensions don't suffer this problem.

3) Along with lowered suspension, you get lower profile tires with stiffer ride
characteristics.

4) A narrowed beam using shortened torsion leaf springs will ride stiffer.
WHy?  Since the leaf springs must be shortened, it reduces the amount of
torsional travel in the spring making it more resistant to twist or stiffer.
So, if you're in a car with a narrowed beam, the springs will not allow as soft
a ride.