[tcb] Re: speedo

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:34:33 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:29:09 +0000 "evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" Not in a
VW but my proudest moment was getting clocked at 135 in a 55 by a Tennessee
State Trooper and NOT getting a ticket back in 1987 or '88. I was warned to
keep it under 100 because he thought my 1979 Honda Prelude was too light to
be doing 135 through the mountain passes where there might be significant
crosswinds.

The speedo only went to 90 and I was guesstimating that I was doing about
120 based on a "table" of rpm to speed at 60, 70, 80, 90 that I was trying
to keep in my head.

I was really impressed with the actual speed.

TN is the "Volunteer State" and back then a green military ID actually
meant something. I was on my way back to the boat in VA after a long
weekend at home in TX and running WAY behind. The trooper radioed ahead and
I passed 3 more state troopers and 2 county sherriff cars during my
(roughly) 200 remaining TN miles and kept the needle pegged.

I was very greatful because TN was the only place to make up the time. At
the VA line I dropped it to 56 and locked the cruise because in 1987 I got
stopped for 75 in a 55 in VA and got an automatic court date. No paying a
ticket, had to go see the judge. And if their hadn't been a high priority
call for the ossifer I think I would have gotten to spend the night in
jail. An uncle had gotten a ticket for *58* in a 55 in AL a few months
before my trip. LA was famous for ticketing TX plates. MS --- well, just
don't speed in MS. I could only "safely" go fast in TX and TN. And home was
20 miles from the TX/LA line so it didn't help much.

I'm kinda hoping when I get around to putting the Bradley together it will
compare to that old Prelude. It was 7 years old with 96,000 miles on it
when I bought it. I traded it in 2 years and 3 days after I bought it with
the odometer showing 98,000 miles. The dealer I traded it to was impressed
that I had only put 2,000 miles on it in 2 years and chalked it up to my
being "away" a lot in the Navy. He wasn't real bright. It was 2,200 miles
from the place I bought it in VA to the place I traded it in TX. 51,000
miles/year clocked by driving from VA to TX every time I got a 4 day or
longer weekend.

G2