[tcb] Re: hershey is fixed

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:14:13 -0800 (PST)

I have been known to glue 2 gaskets together to make a tighter seal.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  my top secret work is now
finished. so now i can tell you what happened. i
tood the fan shroud off to fix a minor oil leak. when i say minor i mean a
half a quart in a weeks worth of driving. the cooler seals were leaking. so
i went to take off the dang cooler stand (dog house) and ripped a bolt head
off. the damn thing broke flush, it blended in with the case, couldn't find
the bolt at all. well i brought in a pro...my dad. he managed to find it
drill it out, and retap the hole. all being done really carefully so no
shavings will get in the motor.

so what was the leak you ask? well, a combination of things, a missing bolt
and dried crusty cracked gaskets (cheapies evidently). so the solution:
german seals, yes they make them, didn't know they did but they do, and
properly torqued bolts (all six of them).

all i lack to having him running are tightening the mustache bar bolts
(where it mounts to the body) and carb bolts, hooking up the oil light and
coil wire, and feeding and hooking up the throttle cable.

this weekend, before i even crank it i am going to change the oil just
incase there were any shavings in the case. and put on my new sump plate to
fix that leak.

one problem i am having though. the passenger side valve cover bail is
loose, i have replaced it twice with og bails and the thing is so loose i
can pop it off with my bare hand. what is a solution to that? that is the
only place left for a leak.

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2