[tcb] Re: full trip report and pictures :D

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:20:43 -0500

thank you paul for being the great guy you are and caring enough to put on
something as great as transporters at the point and for helping out a community
that could use assistance.> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:10:38 -0700> From:
sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [tcb] Re: full trip report and pictures :D>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Thanks Brian ,Things like this is what makes it all
worth while.> > Paul Smith > > >   > H.B.B > T.C.B > Transporters at the Point
report and pictures :D>> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chad Johnson"
<chadeverette@xxxxxxxxx>>> Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 11:54 AM>> Trip
Report T@TP5here are the>>
pics:http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n256/i_am_cool_fred/Transporters%20at%20the%20point%205/>>
of>> the trip but it was done in the bus so I guess it’s>> acceptable as part
of this>> trip report). Left the dentist and went to Browns Country>> Store and
Restaurant>> to meet Neil and eat. Neil and I headed out at about>> 5:30pm.
Arrived at Hooks,>> TX put in about 7.3 gallons of gas and was averaging
about>> 25ish mpg. Neils>> exact words to that was “Damn man, this thing is>>
awesome.” We went on our way once>> again. Got to Dallas at 10:45pm. Ate some
pizza and visited>> with Liz for a>> while. Looked at the clock and decided
it’s not to late>> and I’m still awake so>> I’ll go ahead and make the rest of
the trip. Called Mike>> Hayes to see if they>> will still be up and he said
sure come on down. So then I>> visited with Liz and>> Neil some more looked at
the clock it’s 12am…I have to>> go. Set off on my way>> stopping first to get
some gas. 7.2 gallons of gas from>> hooks to Neils house>> again 25ish mpg.>>
>>  >> >> Phone rings at about 1am. It’s Mike asking if I was close>> “OH, NO
I’M NOT” Everyone in the back ground even>> hears me say this and they>> all
laugh. Mike says where are you and I say I just passed>> a sign that says>>
Waco 40 miles. Mike says you have another hour and a half.>> So I tell them
to>> just go ahead and go to bed and I’ll see them in the>> morning.>> >>  >>
>> I’m trucking along and notice that every once in a while>> the>> bus seems
to hiccup. Nothing major just enough for the>> driver to notice. Hell,>> Neil
never noticed it either. So I attribute that to the>> Semi’s that were>>
passing me and go on about my life. It’s 2am I’m>> starting to yawn so I
reach>> over and flip the toggle switch for the radio, throw in the>> Gorrillaz
Demon>> Days CD and start Jamming, I get through one song and the>> bus goes
dead. But>> then fires off again…that was not in my head. So I turn>> off the
radio because I>> hear it backfiring I look in my side view mirror and can>>
see the flames>> shooting out. So I throw it in neutral and cost off the>>
interstate to a well>> lit tree farm (or something like that) get out check
the>> timing hammer the>> throttle a couple of times and it runs fine. Get back
in>> take off 1st>> gear is fine, 2nd gear is fine, 3rd gear is fine, 4th>>
gear getting on the inerstate 45mph it backfires out the>> exhaust, out the
carb>> it spits, sputters whines, cries, flames are coming out of>> everywhere
so I>> throw it in 3rd ON THE INTERSTATE!!! and turn on the>> flashers and>>
cruise at about 30mph with it doing that because I can see>> bright lights
ahead.>> It’s got to be a gas station. So I hammer on and sure>> enough it was
a Shell>> Truck stop with a Subway in it (important info so make a>> note
SUBWAY) I call>> Mike it’s 2:30am. “Mike, I’m sorry to wake you I know>> you
guys are probably>> asleep but I have problems” he and robb suggest I check>>
the points so I do.>> Points were collapsed so I adjusted them start it up it>>
runs good then>> backfires and dies. I go back and check them again, they>>
collapse again. So I>> try to adjust them out again and realize that I can’t,>>
the little plastic part>> that rests on the lobe of the distributor is worn off
about>> 1/16 compared to>> the other set I have. So I put the other set in.
still>> nothing, I ask an off>> duty cop that is on his way to work (buying
doughnuts,>> seriously) to start the>> bus while I check for fire nothing. So I
call Mike back he>> says he’s on his>> way. >> >>  >> >> I stand around look
around go to the service road and look>> I>> see a bridge go back to the bus
look at the gps it says in>> .5 miles blah blah>> blah, I didn’t see where it
says get on i35s so I call>> Mike and say I’m a half>> mile away from the exit
and tell them where I’m at. Fast>> forward 30 minutes>> Robb calls and says
does we don’t see you where are you>> at. “I’m at the Shell”>> does it have a
Wendy’s? “No,” well what Shell are you>> at? Oh, the gps says that>> I’m 8
miles away not .5miles, my bad. Finally the show up>> after having to deal>>
with my crap directions and Robb puts on a new set of>> points. The points
have>> spark so I go to start it up. Nothing. Check for spark at>> the
plug…Nothing.>> Robb says let’s change the condensor. He starts to change>> it
out and then looks>> up and goes “what the fuck is this” It’s my coil…no>> this
connection on the>> coil…you should fix that. Evidently there was only one>>
wire strand attached to>> the crimp on the coil. Fixed that buttoned it back up
and>> it fired right off. >> >>  >> >> Lesson learned, always lube your
distributor cam lobe and>> always have a good solid connection at your coil.>>
>>  >> >> So we start heading back. Jeff rode with me it’s 4:30am I>> say lets
get breakfast, Jeff says ok, I say where do we go,>> he says oh, I was>>
kidding and we go on to the campsite. >> >>  >> >> Friday:>> >>  >> >> Wake up
at 7ish eat some great breakfast that Mike Sonja>> and>> Robb made and let robb
tell the wonderful story about how I>> was stranded 40>> miles north of Dallas
in the snow and how they had to>> rescue me because my coil>> wire came off. >>
>>  >> >> Got to see lots of folks I haven’t seen in ages. We all>> hang>> out
talk about the vw’s it was awesome to watch folks>> roll up. I was number 7>>
so to watch the other 50 some odd busses show up was one>> helluva site to see.
of Chili. We were going around and saying Trick or>> Treat and getting>> chili
from everyone. We both decided that the judging was>> rigged, someone paid>>
the chili judges off because Julie should of won 1st,>> Shirley was a>> Close
2nd and Katrina should of won spiciest chili ever.>> Seriously,>> I love spicy
chili. It would have been perfect for chili>> dogs or chili burgers.>> Mmmmmm
chili burgers.>> >>  >> >> Amazingly I didn’t have to visit the porta potty at
all>> that>> night. But man my bus sure smelled like chili farts that>>
night.>> >>  >> >> Saturday: >> >>  >> >> Cruse to the burger place. Loved to
see all the white tops>> in the distance behind me. I was right behind Paul so
when>> I Parked I set the>> parking brake jumped out of the bus with it still
in gear>> and ran to the middle>> of the road to take lots and lots of pictures
of the 27>> busses that were on the>> cruise come in to the parking lot. I ate
the Heartstopper>> burger with fries and>> a Dr. Pepper. Best damn burger ever.
After eating and>> telling Robb and Mike>> exactly how I wanted my funeral
including the positioning>> of the smoke machine>> and when the strobe lights
should be cued and also telling>> them that I want>> them to play the hustle
when I’m carried from the vw>> hearse to the hole in the>> ground. So after
eating my Heartstopper burger I went out>> to the bus and played>> the Hustle
one final time. Mark took it as a challenge to>> play the worst song>> ever.
Sure he played some Milli Vannili but I played>> “babe” by sonny and>> cher…so
I win. We drove back after the fun and I stopped>> at a gas station and>> got
8.2 gallons of gas…evidently the points were acting>> up on that final leg>>
because the mileage showed. 20ish mpg.>> >>  >> >> Came back from the cruise,
hung out visited met new people>> put faces with names partied like it was 1969
then ate some>> yummy brisket and>> the best beans ever seriously, I want that
recipe. I ate my>> beans and Mikes>> beans too. Mmmmmmmm beans>> >>  >> >> We
then all went and bid on the most awesome prizes ever at>> the charity auction.
There were some amazing things in that>> auction including a>> lowrider bike…I
wish I had cash with me…I would of>> bought that thing.>> >>  >> >> Then Jerry
burned an engine case. That was beautiful, I saw>> green spots for 30 minutes
after that. Then I went to the>> restroom and while I>> was in there I saw the
light. Bodean had evidently thrown>> in the other case>> half. It was
awesome.>> >>  >> >> Sunday:>> >>  >> >> Awards were given out I won one of the
best 30 and I gave>> Andy the furthest distance award…even though it was>>
really me :D>> >>  >> >> Then drove home. Speedo stayed on 80 most of the way
there.>> Don’t have a heart attack you have to minus 10% - 15%>> from that to
get the real>> speed.>> >>  >> >> Cruised back with Mike and Robb to Dallas we
stopped once>> and I got 2.3 gallons of gas then I stopped in Rockwall and>>
got 4.8 gallons of>> gas. And stopped by Jack in the Box for a burger and
fries.>> Next stop was Hope>> for gas and I got 7 gallons of gas. >> >>  >> >>
I arrived home around 8:45ish trouble free >> >>  >> >> Total miles driven: 950
including the cruise>> >> Average mileage: 25.2mpg>> >> Total cars passed on
entire trip: 5>> >> Total amount of days during the trip that I had a smile
on>> my face: 4>> >>  >> >> Thanks to Paul for putting on the show and Thanks
to all>> you>> guys for encouraging me to leave the state…it was well>> worth
it. The bus is now>> parked for winter and I will begin gutting the interior>>
this week. For the>> winter project I plan on making a full width z-bed,>>
removing the ice box and>> replacing all the factory wood in the headliner and
Windows connects the people, information, and fun>> that are part of your
life.>> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/>