[tcb] Re: brian and the fabubus at it again

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:11:12 -0600

holy crap, i would have to replace the pinion gear, bellhousing, starter, flywheel, move/adjust shift rod linkage. then i could think about the motor and what to build which would cost another arm and leg. or i could spend the $600 it would take to do the heads and the $300 on new cylinders and pistons and drive a perfectly fine t4 hmmmmmm. thanks for the ratwell link i always forget to look there before i ask questions. and there is one more place i need to check on the cost of cylinders for the bus. and i will have to find the number in my past emails. thanks for all the help on this i think my mind is now made up. the fabubus is going to be, again, fabulous (ok that was a shitty play on words) so denis back to this tokyo thing tell me more.

From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: brian and the fabubus at it again
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:18:28 -0600

The guys at Oakhill Auto in Longview are real believers in a 2 liter Type I that they build. 90.5 jugs with stroke to go to something slightly over 2000 cc. About 2004 I think. Anyway, Daniel Watts has been trying to talk me into one for the Baja. Had him price one out and it would run about $2,000 for the long block. If you switching from the Type IV you would also have the problem of all of the other stuff, alternator, carbs etc. which means you are probably looking at around $3,000 for the motor you would want.
Sammie

At 02:12 PM 12/21/2005, you wrote:
1641 and 1776 are type 1 with more displacement from bigger pistons
and cylinders. They make more horsepower but not much more torque.
What a type 1 motored bus needs is more torque. I would suggest
adding stroke instead of or in addition to bigger pistons and
cylinders. Keep in mind that the more you add the more heat you will
have to get rid of somehow.

I saw the post on the aircoolers board as well. Please note that his
bus is a 1973 that came from the factory with a 1700cc type 4. Not a
big difference from a 1641. You have a 2000cc now? I don't think the
gearing will work out well with a small type 1 motor in your bus.

Denis has a 1904cc, I think, But when you start building a type 1
motor that big you run up the cost a bunch, right up to the cost of a
reliable type 4 in my opinion.

I thought you had a guy hooking you up with some quality machine work
for cheap on you heads?

On Dec 21, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Brian Denning wrote:

denis what did you say you have in murry motor wise? i am strongly
considering building an upright for the fabubus. i am thinking
either 1641 or 1776. but don't know i have alot of questions on
building either and am planning on getting edumacated tonight by a
friend on it.

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http:// search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/